CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

2008년 4월 2일 수요일

4th Post on My Second Book: The Lord of the Flies

The passage I chose that is meaningful to me is the part when Simon talks to the pig head sticking to the pole in page 143. The pig says "There isn’t anyone to help you. Only me. And I’m the Beast . . . Fancy thinking the Beast was something you could hunt and kill! . . . You knew, didn’t you? I’m part of you? Close, close, close! I’m the reason why it’s no go? Why things are the way they are?" This passage is saying that the beast is actually the boys themselves. The whole evil spirit in this island was the human nature and savagery. He identifies himself as the devil and says that he is part of the boys. This passage, which I would say the climax of this novel, really gave me the creeps because this is telling the corruptness of human being. After the conversation, Simon goes to the boys to tell them what he had found, and gets beaten up to death by Jack and his followers just because they thought he was the Beast. Ralph and other "right-minded" kids tried to stop them, but they were going crazy and would not listen.

2 개의 댓글:

Sophia Lee :
작성자가 댓글을 삭제했습니다.
Sophia Lee :

Same novel again!
This passage was a passage that creeped me out. When I first read this part I was wondering what that pig head is. Figuring out that it was "evil spirit" made me shudder. Simon who knew and wanted to tell the truth, had a gory death. That was really shocking and unforgetable. If I was Simon, I would just freak out if the pig head talk to me. Also, I would not be able to handle that position of telling the truth.

If Simon did tell them would they have listen to him? I do not think they would have listen him since they are out of control.